Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's Eve and "Quantum" John's Personal Motto

My web browser's home page is a customized set of Google widgets that includes a Bible verse-of-the-day, and today's is Isaiah 43:16, 18-19:

This is what the LORD says... "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."

After the past year (especially some health issues and an unusually stressful problem with a co-worker), I'm very happy to forget the former things. I'm ready to move on to the new things God has in store for me, my family, my friends, my country, and my world.

That verse-of-the-day also reminded me of one of my favorite verses, Isaiah 26:12: "All that we have accomplished, you have done for us."

God has given me some abilties to work and accomplish things, and I've tried to be diligent in exercising those abilities. As a result, my resume reflects some of the unusual things I've accomplished, such as earning over 50 professional I.T. certifications in database technology, network engineering, computer programming, and system administration, and all of it great fun. But no matter how much I accomplish, I remember Isaiah's words, and know that I'm just one of God's children, trying to follow His will and invest my time as He wishes.

"My accomplishments" are, in fact, what God has done through me, so there's nothing for me to brag about except the God who has blessed me with so much. Which brings me to my personal motto: Everything that I accomplish is just some of what God has done for me.

Trying to listen to God and follow His will has been an amazing life-long adventure so far. Now begins the year 2007, and I get to read live the next chapter... How exciting!

No comments: